What is a Reading Challenge
Reading Challenges are community events that promote reading for fun through timely themes that highlight current events or topics of interest.
When do Reading Challenges Start?
Readers can pre-register for challenges as soon as they appear on the Beanstack home page. Each event will have a unique start date that will be displayed, which may start before or after you’ve registered. Don’t worry, we’ll send you a reminder (if your email is on file) to let you know when you can begin logging and you can go back and add reading for days you missed.
Who can participate?
Any and everyone! We have challenges for ALL ages. Yep, even you!
What do I have to do?
Log your reading and/or reading activities. Each Challenge will have a set number of books, minutes, or activities that need to be completed to finish the Challenge.
Are there prizes?
Every Challenge will award the reader badges as they complete tasks. Some challenges, like the Summer Reading Program have prizes. Readers will be notified that they can pick up a prize if there is one available.
How do I log points?
Log on the Beanstack Website.
Once logged in online, readers can log their reading from any page by following these steps:
- Click the “Log Reading” or “Log Reading and Activities” button in the upper lefthand corner of the screen.
- Select the accurate reader(s) and then the desired log type. Note that if readers are enrolled in a current challenge, they will only see the log types (books, minutes, pages, or days) used in that challenge. If they are not enrolled in an active challenge, they will see all active log types on your site. If they are enrolled in a reading list challenge, they will see an option to log for that challenge’s titles.
- Select the date for the reading session, keeping in mind that some sites may restrict back-dated logging so that readers can only log for dates up to 90 days in the past. Then enter any additional information, like title, author, and if they’d like to leave a book review. Note that some sites may have certain required logging fields, like title, and may allow or disallow logging multiple titles or completions at one time based on their site and challenge preferences.
- Click “Log.”
- The reading session will be added to their log and to any applicable challenge log. If warranted, the reader may earn badges, tickets, or rewards, which will pop up after logging.
Log on the Beanstack App
- Tap the + symbol in bottom center of the screen, select Reading, and select the accurate reader(s) if there are multiple readers on the account.
- Then, search, select, or scan the appropriate title, and select Log Reading.
- On the logging screen, click Change next to “Logging reading for Today” to select today or select a past date.
- Select the correct completion status, enter the time and/or pages of reading, and tap Done.
How do I install and get started with the Beanstack app?
Our friends at Beanstack have created a great video to help walk you through the process.
Who do I contact if I have questions?
You can message firstname.lastname@example.org anytime for support.
I don’t know what to read. Can you provide some recommendations?
This is what we do best! Visit your library so a staff member can help you find a few titles based on your reading preferences.